Friday, February 4, 2011

The 2nd smile of February was peace of mind. The 3rd is about what hydrogen can do given 13.7 billion years.

EDIT: Should've mentioned that video is pretty long. Don't know how to embed a video that starts at a certain point either, sorry. The portion I write about starts at about 10:50 and runs through the end of the video and is DEFINITELY worth your time.

I couldn't stop with the happy yesterday. I know I'm not in a situation to be too incredibly excited, but when I really think about it, this is what I wanted anyway: to eventually get back home to Cincinnati.

It's not going to be great fun at first, but at least I can get back on my feet and not starve. Good way to look at it.

As for today, I'm going to share a tiny bit of a video from one of my favorite people, Dr. Brian Cox. Dr. Cox (some of you who know me will laugh knowingly at one of the reasons I love him so much) is a particle physicist/cosmologist working on the LHC (Large Hadron Collider or omfgfearmongeringblackholespawningdeathmachine to some.) In his spare time he loves engaging in "popular science" bringing new concepts to the layman. I spend a ton of time studying the way the universe works because of him, and today I rewatched an old clip of his where he discusses the nature of the beginning of the universe.

A lot of religions and cultures have "Creation stories." They outline some kind of deity making things up as he goes along, they're generally fun, and they help the everyman understand the nature of the world around them. It's great work, not saying people aren't entitled to believe it or anything...but what if science had it's own creation story? Would that make everything more understandable? I think that's something Dr. Cox set out to accomplish in this wonderful video. Go ahead and watch it, and think about your friends, your family, the blue sky and green grass and clean water and crisp, cold morning air that make your life what it is.




...and as you do that, remember that it's all the result of what hydrogen nuclei can do when you give them 13.7 billion years to screw around.

:),
Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment