Monday, January 10, 2011

The Tenth Day: I busted my butt and laughed it off.

So. Money.

It's a bad thing for me. I never really handle money particularly well. I like shiny things too much, don't like bills enough, and generally have enough left after two weeks to eat. Sometimes.

Actually, "eat" is such a strong term. "Survive?" "Not starve?" Lets just say I've lost a bit of weight. Anyway, that's not what this is about. Today, I woke up late (no work, whee!) stumbled out of bed, and sat down in my directors chair...which abruptly ceased to be. I'd seen this coming for a while, but I like to use something until I can't use it anymore so I stuck with this chair, a 4 dollar number I bought at a thrift store a few months ago. It was comfy, I liked it, whatever.

So I'm laying there on the floor in the remnants of a chair, laughing hysterically as I pull a chunk of wood out of my arm (not hurt that bad, I'll live, no worries)and I just think to myself "oh well, I'll buy a new one eventually."

Then I checked my bank account and realized since I got my student loans squared away, paid all my last months bills on time and settled with Discover card, I had 300 dollars sitting around. I can actually buy a new chair. I don't have to worry about taping this one back together, or pulling my couch up to my desk just to use my computer for a few weeks. This is substantial and awesome for me, it doesn't usually happen. Needless to say, I was incredibly excited, smiles as big as you can fathom inhabiting my face for the rest of the day. I may have actually weathered a good portion of my financial storm, and that's worth smiling about.

All because I fell and busted my ass. Funny how things work out.

-Eli-

PS: Decided to leave a cool video or some music everyday. That being said, my sister showed me this video: it's by a group called Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, and they're pretty awesome. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, weathering financial storms are worth at least a dozen smiles... each. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image of you smiling and laughing hysterically in the middle of a broken chair made my day, son. Truly. Made. My. Day.

    ReplyDelete